step 9: review orientation information
First year students are assigned a check-in time for Orientation based on the section number of the Learning Community assigned. Once you are registered, check your schedule to find the assigned Learning Community number which are the last two numbers in this course listing format (for example LC*001*LC32 indicates that the student is assigned Learning Community #32). Two groups will be divided and your Learning Community will be assigned to one of the groups.
This information and a tentative Orientation schedule will be posted on this page on August 12th 2013.
All students will receive a final Orientation schedule when they arrive for Orientation.
Back to the ORIENTATION PROCESS
- Playfair! - A giant icebreaker to get students excited about college
- Summer Reading Discussion Panel - Meet some faculty members and discuss the required summer reading.
- Getting Involved - Students will learn about a multitude of opportunities for them to participate at MMC outside the classroom.
- Information Technology - Students will learn how to navigate MMC's email system, Blackboard and MMC Connect.
- Diversity Sessions - Students will engage in open discussion about the vast diversity of people they will encounter both at MMC and in the city.
- Social events - Students may opt to watch a comedian or hypnotist during the evening. There will be one fun event each night!
- NYC Excursions - When students are not on campus for Orientation, there will be a plethora of activities for them to do in the city. Most trips will be led by a Peer Leader who will also show students how to navigate transportation in NYC!
- Major meetings - Students will meet fellow students in their academic program as well as professors teaching in their major.
transfer student orientation
Transfer students will be paired with a Peer Leader- a current MMC student leader, who will walk them through the entire program. Peer Leaders will be present at all sessions and will be available to answer questions about MMC or the surrounding community.
A tentative schedule for transfer students will be posted on this page on August 12th 2013.
All transfer students will receive a final Orientation schedule when they arrive for the Transfer Student Orientation program.
Back to the ORIENTATION PROCESS
Things You Should Know...
- Everyone is required to show identification upon entering all campus buildings. Commuter students will get their MMC ID cards on the first day of Orientation.
- Smoking is not permitted in any MMC building. Look for designated smoking areas outside buildings.
- You should bring a cell phone. You will also be asked to supply the College with your cell number so it can be entered into the database for emergency alerts. Text messages are sent only in case of emergency.
- All residence halls have wireless Internet and you will have a college e-mail. Help desk assistance is available to students who need help to connect their computers to the campus network.
- Lost & Found is located at Campus Safety & Security. Stop by the security desk in the Main Building if you find something missing.
- For information about Orientation, contact the Student Development & Activities Office, 212-774-0788.